Sunday, March 24, 2013

You CAN eat healthy fast food!!

On Thursday afternoon, I left the office to pick up lunch. Lately I'd been bringing my lunch to avoid the drive-thru junk but I didn't have enough time in the morning. So... I thought about El Pollo Loco's chicken salad. I could have worse, right?? So on I drove across town only to realize EVERYONE had the same idea as me. Plan B it is. Wait... what's Plan B?? I'd already decided a salad would be m lunch. A semi-healthy salad. Now what?? As I pulled out of the parking lot I headed back towards the office. Should I just grab Sonic?? (Ick) No.... there HAS to be something better. Panda?? Could I possibly have something healthy at Panda?? Perhaps. So onward I drove. Zero cars in the drive-thru. So far so good!! I pulled up to the menu and asked for a minute so look things over. My usual would be: 2 entree, Orange chicken (420), honey walnut shrimp (370), 1/2 chow mein and fried rice (510) and a Pepsi. For a grand total of 1,300 calories. That's what a single person should have in ONE day. Ridiculous!!

As I read through my options. I ordered a 2 entree: 1/2 steamed rice and chow mein, broccoli beef and grilled teriyaki chicken and 2 spring rolls. No drink. As I pulled forward, I remembered the steamed veggies and a side option. As I was paying I asked the girl if I could replace the chow mein with steamed veggies. She said of course.

I felt good!! The old me would have probably panicked because I wasn't getting my favorite orange chicken or any of my usuals. Oddly enough... I didn't feel cheated or jiped. I felt GOOD. I made healthier choices. Granted I could have driven clear across town to my house and throw together a salad. A million coulda-shouldas... but this was a big step. I was proud of myself. Had I left out the spring rolls I would have been at 595 calories.

I'm starting to learn that there are healthier choices. You just have to examine the menu and actually READ the dreaded nutrition details.

Just look how good everything looks!! Delicious and filling :) Next time I'm doing all steamed veggies and no rice (440 calories!!). Yummmm!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment